Nyamweya has been working on lake ecosystems for over 9 years with long standing research experience covering diverse areas of freshwater fish ecology. He has a PhD in Ecological Modelling from the University of Iceland. Additionally he has international diplomas in: (i) Marine and Inland Waters, Resources, Monitoring and Assessment, (ii) Fishbase and Taxanomy, (iii) Designing research projects and (iv) Fisheries acoustics. He has vast management skills having undertaken a Senior Management Course at the Kenya School of Government. He has special interest in population and community dynamics, ecosystem functioning and responses to climate and human induced changes, application of hydroacoustics to estimate fish biomass and distribution in both space and time, application of smart technologies in data collection and analysis, development of management decision support and evaluation tools. He has built Atlantis, ROMS and GADGET Models to simulate Lake Victoria Ecosystem functioning and management strategy evalutation.
He has been an investigator in at least more than 10 national, regional and international projects. Currently he is Investigator in an NSF funded project on “The potential for aquaculture in Lake Victoria and implications for wild fisheries and fish commodity markets”. He has published more than 35 papers, 21 of them in SCI-indexed journals.
Research Network: Research Gate
- Njiru, J., van der Knaap, M., Kundu, R., Nyamweya, C., (2018) Lake Victoria fisheries: Outlook and management. Lakes Reserv. Res. Manag. 23, 152–162.
- Mangeni-Sande, R., Taabu-Munyaho, A., Ogutu-Ohwayo, R., Nkalubo, W., Natugonza, V., Nakiyende, H., Nyamweya, C.S., Muwanika, V.B., (2018) Spatial and temporal differences in life history parameters of Rastrineobola argentea (Pellegrin, 1904) in the Lake Victoria basin in relation to fishing intensity. Fish. Manag. Ecol. 1–7.
- Aloo, P. A., Njiru, M. J., , Balirwa, J. S. and Nyamweya C. S. (2017) Impacts of Nile Perch, Lates niloticus on the Ecology, Economy and Conservation of Lake Victoria, East Africa. Lakes and Reservoirs: Research and Management, 22: 1–14. DOI: 10.1111/lre.12192
- Nyamweya, C., Sturludottir, E., Tomasson, E. A., Taabu-Munyaho, A., Njiru, M., & Stefansson, G. (2017) Prediction of Lake Victoria’s response to varied fishing regimes using the Atlantis ecosystem model. Fish Research, 194: 76-83, DOI: 10.1016/j.fishres.2017.05.014
- Ogello, E. O., Kembenya, E. M., Githukia, C. M., Aera, C. N., Munguti, J. M., and Nyamweya, C. S. (2017) Substitution of fish meal with sunflower seed meal in diets for Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) reared in earthen ponds. Journal of applied aquaculture, At23:45 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10454438.2016.1275074
- Kundu, R., Aura, C. M., Nyamweya, C., Agembe, S., Sitoki, L., Lung'ayia, H. B. O., Ongore, C., Ogari, Z. and Werimo, K. (2017), Changes in pollution indicators in Lake Victoria, Kenya and their implications for lake and catchment management. Lakes and Reservoirs: Research and Management, 22: 199–214. doi:10.1111/lre.1218
- Nyamweya, C., Sturludottir, E., Tomasson, T., Fulton, E. A., Taabu-Munyaho, A., Njiru, M., & Stefansson, G. (2016). Exploring Lake Victoria ecosystem functioning using the Atlantis modeling framework. Environmental Modelling & Software, 86: 158–167. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.09.019
- Nyamweya, C., Desjardins, C., Sigurdsson, S., Tomasson, T., Taabu-Munyaho, A., Sitoki, L., & Stefansson, G. (2016). Simulation of Lake Victoria Circulation Patterns Using the Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS). PLoS ONE, 11(3): e0151272. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0151272
- Kundu, R., Muchiri, M., Njiru, M., and Nyamweya, C. (2016) Effect of Social and Economic Drivers on Success of Small Scale Fish farming in Western Kenya. African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries, 14: 29- 44
- Omondi, R, Kembenya, E., Nyamweya, C. S., Ouma, H., Machua, S. K. and Ogari, Z. (2014). Recent limnological changes and their implication on fisheries in Lake Baringo, Kenya. Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment. 6(5): 154-163
- Taabu-Munyaho, A., Nyamweya, C. S., Sitoki, L., Kayanda, R., Everson, I., and Marteinsdóttir, G. (2014). Spatial temporal variation in the distribution and density of pelagic fish species in Lake Victoria, East Africa. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management, 17(1):52–61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14634988.2014.876886
- Ojwang, W., Ojuok, J. E., Nyamweya, C. S., Agembe, S., Owili, M., Yongo, E., and Wakwabi, E. O. (2014). The intriguing dynamics of Rastrineobola argentea fishery in the Kenyan waters of Lake Victoria. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management, 17 (1): 80–89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14634988.2014.879036
- Njiru, M., Van der Knaap, M., Taabu-Munyaho, A., Nyamweya, C. S., Kayanda, R., and Marshall, B. E. (2014). Management of Lake Victoria fishery: Are we looking for easy solutions? Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management, 17 (1) 70-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14634988.2014.881220
- Yongo, E. O., Morara, G., Ojuok, J. E., Nyamweya, C. S., Ojwang, W. O., Masai, M. and Wasike, C. (2013). Socio-economic Aspects of Fisheries Management in Lake Naivasha. African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology & Fisheries. 13: 27-32
- Nyamweya, C.S., Mlewa, C.M., Ngugi, C.C., et al. (2012) Aspects of the biology of Labeo cylindricus (Pisces: cyprinidae) in Lake Baringo, Kenya. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research & Management 17, 225–229.
- Nyamweya, C.S., Mlewa, C.M., Ngugi, C.C. and Kaunda-arara, B. (2010a) Daily growth of young-of-the-year of the. African Zoology 45, 139–143.
- Nyamweya, C.S., Mlewa, C.M., Ngugi, C.C. and Kaunda-Arara, B. (2010b) Validation of daily growth of African catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822) young-of-the-year from Lake Baringo, Kenya. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research & Management 15, 341–345
Aura, C. M., Musa, S., Odoli, C. O., Nyamweya, S. C., Njiru, J. M., Wanyama, R., (eds). 2017. A technical manual on the best management practices for cage fish farming in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Kenya. ISBN: 978-9966-103.
Aura, M.C., Wanyama, Musa, S., Odoli, C., Nyamweya, C., Njiru, J.M. (Eds). 2017. Best Management Practices of Cage Culture in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Published by Zemma Media Services Ltd. 24pp.
Njiru, M., Nyamweya, C.S., Gichuki, J., Muggide, R., Mkumbo, O. and Witte, F. (2011) Increase in Anoxia in Lake Victoria and Its Effects on the Fishery. intechopen.com, 99–128.
Njiru, M., Sitoki, L., Nyamweya, C.S., Jembe, T., Aura, C., Waithaka, E. and Masese, F. (2012) Habitat degradation and changes in Lake Victoria fisheries. In: Environmental Degradation: Causes, Issues and Management. NOVA Publishers, pp 1–34.